Published On: Sat, Feb 23rd, 2013

Man Arrested in Scuffle with Police while Celebrating 30th Birthday

Story last updated on February 25th, 2013 at 10:50 pm.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, Eugene Police (EPD) arrested Jessie Alexander Wright, 30, (Date of birth: Feb. 22, 1983) on charges of second-degree assault, assault on a public safety officer, first-degree unlawful use of a stun gun, unlawful use of a weapon, resisting arrest and interfering with police.

An officer was conducting a sobriety check on a motorist in the parking area of Good Times, 375 E. 7th Ave, during which Wright and a friend expressed their displeasure of EPD officers “harassing” the motorist. Wright did eventually leave the officers alone, but officers were subsequently advised by Good Times staff of their request that Wright and his group of friends leave the premises due to their elevated levels of intoxication. Staff requested officers stay on scene in the event Wright and the group became uncooperative.

An officer observed a crying female subject. and offered to call a taxi for her, which she accepted. When the officer opened the door to his patrol car, Wright walked up from behind, thrust his head into the door jamb area of the car and began cursing about bar staff. Two additional officers from the other side of the parking lot responded and ordered Wright to leave the scene, per trespassing order issued by the business.

Jessie Wright
Photo: Lane County Jail

Wright appeared to be exiting the scene after several orders to do so, but then thrust his finger into the face of one of the officers. The officer placed Wright in an arm bar and informed him he was under arrest. Wright resisted arrest and started fighting with the officers. Officers warned Wright of their intention to deploy a Taser device. Wright pulled away from officers as one of them deployed a Taser, and the Taser was ineffective as one of the probes did not make contact. Wright continued to resist arrest, and a drive stun was attempted to make a three-point Taser contact on Wright. Wright reached for the Taser, and forced it back on the officer, making contact with the officer’s leg three times.

Wright then grabbed for the officer’s duty belt, grabbing an ammunition magazine and nearly taking the officer’s pepper spray. Wright was pepper-sprayed, then taken into custody. After being taken into custody, Wright attempted to kick at the officers who were detaining him, who then placed Wright into a flexible restraining device.


Comments? Leave comments at the bottom of the page. Lane Today also accepts letters to the editor for publication in our Sound Off section. Please send them to for consideration.

Share your comments below